Admissions & Induction
Setting the Scene!
We are a Nursery Unit, attached to Rothwell Victoria Infant School, and are part of the Pathfinder Schools Trust. We currently cater for 78 children, 39 in the mornings, and 39 in the afternoons. In order to claim a funded place, parents are required to sign a blue funding form each term. This will be fully explained to you when your child starts Nursery.
- The earliest that you can register your child for a Nursery place is the September after their first birthday. Admissions day is usually on a Tuesday at the beginning of September. Please check our Nursery calendar for the exact day.
- You can register your child any time after this date.
- You will need to bring your child’s birth certificate and proof of your address to the Infants School Office in order to register them.
- For details of how places are allocated, and notification dates, please check our Nursery Admissions Policy, in the KEY POLICIES section
- We often find that morning sessions are more popular than afternoons. If your child does not get offered the place you requested, you can ask for them to go on the waiting list, and when a place becomes available, it will be offered to the person at the top of the list.
- Children are admitted into the Nursery in the September after their third birthday. If we have spaces, we can also take children at other times throughout the year, but will allocate places strictly in date of birth order. So children who have birthdays in September - December may not necessarily have to wait until the following September before they can start Nursery. If places are available, we can take these children in January, and places will be offered to the oldest children first. If we still have vacancies later in the year, we may also offer places after Easter. Younger children who join us later in the year can stay with us until the July before they are due to start school.
- The majority of children who attend our Nursery then move on to Rothwell Victoria Infants School, although going to the Nursery does not guarantee a place at the Primary School, and parents/carers will need to apply for a school place online later in the year.
Nursery Induction Evening
- All parents/carers are invited to attend an Induction Evening in June. This consists of a presentation, followed by an opportunity to meet with your child’s key person and other Nursery staff members. Please check our Nursery calendar for dates.
Stay and Play
- Children who are joining us in September are invited, along with their parents/carers to a stay and play session in the July before they are due to start Nursery. This date will be advertised on our Nursery website, and is usually the same as transition day throughout the Pathfinder Schools Trust.
- Two members of Nursery staff will visit you and your child at home at the beginning of September. This is a great opportunity for us to get to know each other in your child’s own comfort zone, and for you to share information with us.
- When your child first starts Nursery, they will be invited to visit us for two one hour sessions. We will stagger the start times on the first session to allow us a few minutes with each child.
- Following the initial sessions, your child will then be invited to attend for 3 hours on the third session. We can alter the induction period or session lengths by negotiation with parents/carers, for children who need a more gradual settling in period.